Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1) by Rebecca Maizel, Book Review

Title: Infinite Days
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 336
Release Date: August 3, 2010
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5

“Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you... no one.”

Those were some of Rhode’s last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face.

It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste.

Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust.

I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn’t Rhode.

But Justin was... daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.

I never expected to be sixteen again... then again, I never expected my past to come back and haunt me...



I know what you're thinking: Great, another vampire book--so predictable.  Well, no.  Infinite Days is different than any other vampire book I've ever read, and I loved it!  The book chronicles the life of a 592-year-old vampire named Lenah Beaudonte who, through an ancient ritual, is changed back into a human after centuries of living as an evil, bloodsucking immortal.  Lenah then relocates from her home in England to a fancy boarding school in New England where she meets a human named Justin and falls in love with him.  Justin awakens something in Lena that she never knew she possessed and she begins to learn how to live and love again.

I found Infinite Days to be very original while sticking to traditional vampire lore.  Maizel exhibits dark, macabre imagery in her novel reminiscent of Anne Rice's beautiful, seductive immortals which I found very appealing.  The protagonist, Lenah, was very relatable (even though she was a human turned vampire turned human...again.)  Lenah was a very strong narrator, and I really enjoyed seeing this beautifully twisted world that Maizel created through her eyes.  I also loved the characters of Rhode, Lenah's vampire soul mate; Justin, Lenah's human lover; and Tony, Lenah's human best friend.  I felt very strong character development throughout the novel, which is always appreciated, and I admired Lenah's strong-willed personality and her tiny quirks and idiosyncrasies.

As I read Infinite Days, I felt constantly encouraged to read by the interactions between the characters, lovely narration, and fast-paced plot.

I highly suggest that you read Infinite Days if you haven't already--there's not one single thing I didn't like about this book.  The sequel, Stolen Nights, is available now and the third and final book in the trilogy is expected to be released in 2014.

Buy Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1):
Barnes & Noble

Buy Stolen Nights (Vampire Queen, #2):
Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment